Tuesday 28 February 2012

evaluation

1.       My media product/magazine uses the convention of a mast head going the whole way across the top of the page. I have seen this used in many popular magazines which inspired me to make mine similar such as Vibe. I positioned the barcode in my product in a conventional place also. This would be so the cashier can easily find and scan the product, as people buying this magazine do not want to be stood around waiting for their purchase to be scanned, so this improves the speed of purchase.
Also the front cover features a mid-shot which also complies with conventions of real magazines as from my observation around shops many other magazines use this type of shot.
My double page spread challenges the convention of keeping the colour scheme consistent as it is a completely different colour from both the contents and the front cover.
In my contents page I have used a variety of images placed neatly in line and I have edited these to try and make them blend in a bit more with the surroundings.
I challenged the conventions of having my double page spread by having the whole left page taken up by a photo. I also believe I have challenged the convention of my colour scheme with the yellow (gold) black and white as these colours were not used in any of the pictures I used for my Animoto animation.


2.       My product represents the social group of hip hop lovers from the stylish look and colour scheme. The black and gold colours connote a traditional gangster/hip hop feel. Culture also the featured person on the front cover is dressed in some hip hop style clothes which people would most probably relate to if they like the particular music genre. The male model featured was used as mainly males are associated with my chosen genre and his body language suggests that he is trying to show off. In my opinion if someone liked hip hop they would automatically be able to tell the genre of my magazine.
My product stands out as the yellow colour of text is almost illuminated against the black background.

3.       The institution who would distribute my product would be similar to those institutions who distribute NME magazine such as IPC. As this company has been around for many years and has a lot of experience and success. Clearly shown from their popular magazines. I think this institution would be suitable to my magazine as it has a different genre and would work well in pleasing the people who want a hip hop magazine in the sort of style of NME. And the company would benefit, as they would then different magazines for different audiences.

4.       The audience for my media product is aimed at particularly males from the age range of about 16 to early twenty’s as I know people within this age range who like hip hop.
The audience however may consist of females slightly, but hip hop is dominated by the male majority.
I think it is important to be selective in whom to aim my magazine at a certain group of people as I will therefore have a stronger fan base, and they will be more loyal toward their loved magazine.
Old people and people living on farms, in country sides would not be in the audience range as there is nothing of interest to an old lady who has no interest in music in this magazine. Also because the explicitness which may be featured such as bad words which might disgust a reader and also children would be excluded from the audience.

5.       I used a male modelling in some hip hop style clothing, posing as a world famous rapper to try and attract the audience attention. As the latest sensations always get the attention my magazine is full of that, so they taglines excite the reader into buying the magazine as they might want to find out about this incredible talent.
I have made the assumption that my audience like old style/classic hip hop as this makes up a part of my product bringing back the sounds from the past and the former rappers.

6.       Things I have learnt in the process of constructing my product would be that I learnt how to use the application adobe Photoshop which enabled me to manipulate photos and arrange my magazine perfect to how I wanted it. Although it was a difficult program to use and get used to I feel that my product went quite well.  And also gave me more practises using word processer.

7.       Looking back at my preliminary task I feel that I have learnt to arrange my conventions better such as the photo is more appropriately placed by the side of the taglines.
Also I think I edited the pictures better too for example I cut around the front cover model far more professionally than previously. I have also learnt the importance of various text/font sizes. For example the masthead had to be a lot bigger than the taglines as this is what I wanted to attract the attention first.

No comments:

Post a Comment